Saturday, March 3, 2012

THE BOOK CORNER

Here Comes Trouble
By Michael Moore

It is unbelievable how many important events in modern history Michael Moore has either been witness to or directly involved in. I liked that each chapter was a separate vignette and Michael Moore's family history and his childhood recollections are every bit as interesting as the larger scale historical events. The opening explanation of the dark days after Bowling for Columbine's release and subsequent Academy Award win when Mr. Moore was booed for speaking the truth left me feeling guilty for my ignorance of the level of backlash Mr. Moore received for standing up for what was right. I was introduced to his movies by a high school theology teacher and have been a fan ever since. I wish I had reached out and let him know that there are people on his side. It may be too little too late, but I want him to know that the opening of his book has inspired me to let people know the difference they've made in my life, much as his inaction as a high school student/school board member inspired him to stand up for what is right (If you don't know what I'm talking about, order this book now!). I loved it so much I bought the audiobook for my father for Christmas and we listened to the entire thing on a long drive over the holidays. Hearing the stories in his own voice made it that much more interesting!
Review by E. Elliot


No comments:

Post a Comment