Sunday, November 1, 2015

THE BOOK CORNER
The Forest
by Edward Rutherfurd
A novel that spans a period of 1000 years in a small region of England? The premise sounded original and I was willing to rely on my love of history carrying me through. And you know what? I got more that I expected out of this book.
Having not read any other titles by Rutherfurd, I had no previous experience of his style and though curiosity led me at first, I was soon hooked. Following the fortunes of six families through the years, most notably the Albions, Rutherfurd not only relates a series of great stories, he also tells the history and politics of England's New Forest, and the life of its deer and famous oaks. The characterization is strong, both heroes and heroines are well drawn, from the Norman noblewomen Adela de la Roche to the mysterious Puckle and his many equally mysterious descendents. All in all, a pretty damn good book. The chapter 'Albion Park' left me with a craving for Jane Austen again and a a whole leaving me with a strong inclination to read more of Edward Rutherfurd's work soon time soon.
Review by Feneesna

No comments:

Post a Comment